Mar 29, 2012

30 Things, Day 2...3 legitimate fears


2.  Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.

 I always thought that when I got older my fears would lessen or I at least would not become afraid of new things, but life has disproved that idea for me.  In my adult years I have definitely gained fears that I would have never even guessed at before, and am choosing to talk about just the more recent fears as my three.
a)  This one I just discovered the past weekend.  Although I played ball with my brother for hours and hours on a daily basis growing up, that was with a tennis ball and plastic bat.  Last year for his birthday, I went to his baseball themed bday party, and was the pitcher for 2 1/2 hours so that everyone else could hit.  I did just fine with the softball, and no glove (you don't have to wear a glove when you play with a tennis ball) until the last two minutes.  The last one of his wife's nephews comes up to bat.  For the first time that afternoon, I did not recite my little spiel of do not hit the pitcher.  He hit the pitch...line drive coming straight at my chest.  So reflex kicks in and I put my right hand out to protect my chest.  Smashed the nerve endings in my palm, and had at least a month before all the swelling and stuff went down enough to function properly.  So this year, facing the upcoming bday party, I decide to learn how to use a baseball glove to prevent a repeat (because it is after all me that we are talking about).  Got out there with some friends from my single's class at church, and discovered that not only am I afraid of the ball hitting me, I also kind of squeal now and jump back.  Not very pitcher-like behavior.  And if it was annoying to me, just think how entertaining it was to the guys.  Will be working on un-learning this fear!!!
b)  The second more recent fear is that of poison ivy.  Two springs ago, after moving into this rental house, I discovered how incredibly miserable getting poison ivy is, and I was covered from head to ankle.  It was so blistered and raised that moving and circulation were very much hindered and I had to have assistance to shower and keep medicine on it.  Miserable stuff.  I don't wish it on my worst enemy (and don't have any enemies anyways!).  Oh, and the picture above is of beauty in the midst of poison ivy...that spot is where we have been fighting the poison ivy the hardest, and this beautiful sprig of color is growing in the middle of it.
c) My third fear is that I will get stuck in my yuck...or that God will get tired and give up on me.  He has been reassuring me and growing me in this area especially.  He keeps reminding me that He will never give up on me and that He will always walk right beside me, helping me to make it through anything and everything that comes my way.  As long as I am walking in Him, He will help me to keep growing and moving forward, refining me and keeping me from getting stuck!
I love that God cancels out my fears.  That knowing Him enables me to work through them and get over them.  There is so much safety and freedom found in a relationship with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the encouraging message!