Jul 12, 2012

Balance

Life has been almost insanely busy lately.  I traveled last weekend with the team to Texas, took tons of pictures and brainstormed on how we might help to make things run a little smoother.  After coming back home, I spent the next three days editing pictures and making posters for upcoming events.  Crazy fun, and time flew while doing so, but I found myself neglecting other responsibilities, and sitting in my chair behind the computer for far too many hours of the day.  Homework was the thing most pushed to the back burner this week, which fortunately was the lightest week of homework so far...but the need for balance was glaringly obvious.  My daughters also got less of me this week then they should have, which hurts to admit.  And I was stretching myself way too thin, staying up way too late in the evenings trying to get everything done and trying to feel as if I wasn't going to let someone down.
So, in my quiet time, God called me on it.  He told me that I need to take more time this summer to laugh and play with my girls, to snuggle with them on the rare occasions that they still allow me to.  To not cheat homework time for time on facebook or derby duties.  To learn to say no to events when there is just too much in my week already.  And to be careful how much time I spend away.
Every once in awhile we need to be reminded of what is important to us, that life needs to be balanced, and what things need to be on the top of our agendas.  I am glad that my "wake-up call" if you will, was through my quiet time and not through a big loss or life event.  But this one is super hard for me.  While I am not as much of a people-pleaser as I once was, I am still happiest when I am helping others in some way, shape, or form.  And I have to find a way to balance things better, for my own health, and for my daughters' sake. 
Just because something is fun, or a good thing to do, does not mean that it is what is best for me.  So, I have to start making some better decisions and work on balancing life out a little better.  I want my girls to grow up knowing that they are important to me, not an after thought, or something that is squeezed into the schedule where ever it fits.  They need me to be playful, snuggly, understanding, patient, etc, etc, etc.  I cannot be any of those things that they need if I am stressed out or over-committed.  No wonder God asked me to be more balanced.
So what did I do tonight?  I stayed home from practice and watched tv with my girls.  Cannot even remember the last time we watched tv together.  I am trying.  A work in progress!  I am so thankful that God has not given up on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the encouraging message!