May 20, 2011

In Honor of my Sister

My baby sister gets married tomorrow.  A day she said would never happen.  But that was years ago...when she was still young, before she fell in love.
There is 10 years between my sister and I.  I am the second of six (5 girls, one boy) and she is the youngest.  When she was born, my love of babies was obvious.  I love everything about babies.  And I loved everything about my baby sister.  I didn't mind helping mom with feedings and diaper changes.  And I took pictures of her every chance I got.  There was a point that mom had to remind her that she was the mom, not me.  (Or at least that's a memory I have...I never know if they are real or not...there is a lot that is just missing).  She was my little shadow.
In high school, I had a lot of fun making dresses for her and the sister just older than her.  I would make them matching dresses and then make them stand together so that I could take their pictures.
When I got to the stage that I was dating...18+...one or both of them would tag along on a lot of the dates.  Or we would jump in my car and go find Grandpa, his girlfriend, and his buddies at the food court at Antioch Mall.  Or we would go to the park.  Almost all of my memories...that I can remember or was told...involve my youngest two sisters.
I cannot believe that enough time has passed by that she is old enough to get married.  I have been so emotional all night.  I love my sister and want the best for her.  But I cannot believe that it's going to be someone else's turn to hold her as she cries and wipe the tears away.  That someone else will be the person she tells all her secrets to.  That someone else gets a turn to know every thing about her.  That someone else can love her like I do.
I don't know why that is so hard for me to wrap my brain around.  The years have come and gone and gotten in between us.  I probably don't even know her as well as he does.  That doesn't mean that I love her any less but life and kids and life, just got in the way.  I have been out of my parent's house for 15 years...and obviously she has grown up in that time.  She has been out on her own for the last three or four years, herself.
But so many memories...like the way she idolized my husband.  The way she smiled at my wedding.  The way she came for a week or two to stay with us every summer.  The way she gave up two weeks one summer to help me with my oldest while I was on bedrest for three months with my youngest.  The way she held me when I couldn't do anything but cry the first and second time that my husband took off.  The way she spoiled the girls, sometimes for no reason at all.  The hours we would all spend at the park when the girls and I would visit.  All the walks.  All the shopping trips.  All the phone calls. 
Now its time for her to make a home of her own.  To be a wife.  Maybe a mother.  To make a life with her new husband.  And I truly wish her the best.  I wish a better marriage then I could have ever dreamed of having.  One that would last through all the tests of time and prove itself worthy.  One where she would be the helper that her husband most needs...his best friend.  All the things I once hoped for myself, and all that I hoped married life could be...that's what I wish for my sister.  That she would find her happiness in God and fulfillment in marriage.  This is a bit corny...but I hope that tomorrow begins her happily ever after.
To my little sister...may all your dreams come true!
Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the encouraging message!