Aug 18, 2014

My super girls!


Just wanted to share a special update!
I know many of my posts lately have been down...it was truly one of our toughest summers.
But summer is over and school has started.
All the hours of therapy, all the hours Toad and I walked with her around the middle school getting used to the building and bells, all the melt downs and struggles...
...we were able to see the other side this week!
I'm not saying the struggles are over.
There is no cure...just ways to help her better cope...and make sure she knows she's not in this alone.
Both of my super girls had a spectacular, super start to their '14-'15 middle school adventure!
She is even riding the bus in the morning by choice!
No meltdowns before or after school all week.
No sob stories about the horrors of having to put on tennis shoes for PE.
No bawling because the locker wasn't cooperating with her.
She's not necessarily jumping for joy at the idea of going to school, but she's not dreading it either.
Both girls are making new friends and lots of new memories.
Exactly what every momma wants for their kiddos!
They both went through soooooo much this summer!
It's not easy to have anxiety disorder, OCD, and sensory processing disorder.
But its also not easy being the big sister to someone with those struggles either.
And they are both doing it! 
And on their way to thriving despite it all.
And that is nothing short of a miracle!
If you had asked me last month if I thought she would have a great transition and first week of school, I would have told you how much we were dreading what it could be like.
But it was nothing like we dreaded!
She is waking up on her own.  She's wearing pajamas at night for the first time since before kindergarten.  She's smiling and laughing.  She's functioning on a higher level.  She is doing great!
I'm well aware that there will still be tough times in the near future, and that little things like having to perform with choir for her grade make her hide in her room in panic.  But I am so thankful for a short break from daily breakdowns.  For a short break from hearing her wonder why she exists.  For a break from trying to help her see the truth rather than the lies of hopelessness that come to her so quick in the midst of a meltdown.
I am truly thankful for all the hours we poured into her this summer...believing for her when she couldn't, repeatedly telling her that it won't always be this hard, that God has special things for her future and has her here for a specific purpose (I will never stop telling her that, I believe it with all my heart for both my girls), helping her to put her mind on different things when life seems to hard and all she can see is the overload, holding her when she was so broken.  We walked through a super dark summer...one of the darkest of my lives.  But by the grace of God, we are on the other side of that particular chapter and she is learning through experience that life is a journey and process and set of trial and error...and that change isn't always as hard as our anxiety makes it look like it will be.
I have sooooo very much to be thankful for.
And in the good, the bad, and all the in between...GOD IS STILL GOOD.  He is still faithful...and He is always there!  So I always have much to be thankful for.
And boy am I thankful for my super girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the encouraging message!