Dec 3, 2013

Day 2 of phone calls

Yesterday, things were hopeful that we could just go straight to Children's Mercy to get diagnosed and started with Integration therapy.  Today, the phone call was returned and there is most definitely a process of hoops to jump through.  In order for her to get into the Children's Mercy program, she has to have an order from an occupational therapist.  In order to get to see an occupational therapist, she needs an order from a doctor.  Since she doesn't get along with her current gruff, no bedside manner pediatrician we were assigned to, and because we were told we would outgrow this, so it stopped being mentioned at visits anyways, our current pediatrician has no idea of the struggles, and we have no history of it in her medical records except for way back when in Jefferson City when I first brought it to that pediatrician's attention in kindergarten.  And unfortunately, the gal I talked to at children's mercy has no idea of any psychologists who take her insurance that would be able to make the diagnosis for us either. 
It feels as if we are at square one, again, with a slight glimmer of hope.  Yesterday, we at least were given a list of four female pediatricians that we could see if she actually gets along with...so I guess we start there.  Trying to get her into a doctor's office that we actually would go to, rather than always running to CVS Minute Clinic instead (and our favorite nurse practitioner there just moved to Lee's Summit anyways). 
I just wrote a post on Facebook in an effort to keep up my motivation to keep going with this and not give up.  I am going to keep the fact that next year is middle school...which for her would be constant change...which we are well aware causes overload where everything seems insurmountable to her.  Its to the point, that we really need the help to find ways to cope/adjust better.  My post said I will not give up, I will not give up, I will not give up.  Sometimes it truly feels like I am fighting a battle to get her help...but I want my daughter to be able to thrive and be successful in each day...to see her be able to smile easier, and more often.  When you notice every single smile, and it brings tears to your eyes, because they are so rare in her world of feeling overwhelmed...it gives you some extra determination.  No 11 year old should feel like life is just too hard and you wanna give up.
So we keep going on this journey...we don't give up.  We fight to actually get her the help she needs to be able to adapt to the constant changes that life throws your way.  And we fight for those smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the encouraging message!