Dec 16, 2013

Goals

Sensory processing disorder very often leaves Banana feeling defeated. At 11, she struggled with feeling as if there is no sense in trying and that life is too hard. We've recently discovered that the sensory overload that she deals with on a daily basis can cause that. 
So setting goals for herself is a new thing. Where before she felt defeated before she even started trying new things, we are working really hard to just keep trying or keep practicing or just keep doing it until it no longer seems so scary. 
Now, I will be the first to admit that I do not always believe something is going to happen either...especially when it comes to fundraiser a. But this year, for whatever reason, she decided she really wanted to sell enough major saver cards to earn a limo ride. And rather than blowing it off as a fundraiser gimmick, in light of everything else going on, I decided to support and encourage her in this. She came up with a sales pitch, because she truly appreciated the extra perks that came with the card this year...namely the buy an adult ticket, get a kids ticket to LegoLand. Because she really really wants to go there. 
Here's how convincing she has been...she talked her dad into buying two. Another gal had already bought one from her own child and bought another from Banana to help her reach her goal. She even talked two of her Bo's into changing their minds. Not because the fundraiser was the best deal around, but because it was the first time she ever pushed herself way past her comfort zone, on her own, to work towards a goal. And it was incredible to watch. 
Her dad pitched in and helped her with the first five, and she got the last five on her own. I wish you could have seen her when she realized she had truly done it. And then today, in the car, she looked at me and said, "next year I just might go for selling 20".   This is so huge for her and I am so proud of her!
Now, I really understand the way this made her feel. I've been working on dreaming bigger and stretching my own faith muscles this year. Trusting God with everything, especially my kiddos. And this Christmas season, I set a goal for my friends and acquaintances that was beyond anything I could do on my own. And as God is making it all fall into place and actually happen, it is reinforcing the things He has been teaching me all year...that He truly cares about the things that I care about; that He wants to be my best friend, husband, and provider; that He loves me more then I can ever comprehend; and that He is enough and wants to use me and help me to dream big. And I am just grateful and overwhelmed. In a good way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the encouraging message!