This morning, I decided to type Sensory Processing Disorder into facebook's search spot and see if it turned up anything. I found this: https://www.facebook.com/sensoryprocessingdisorderparentsupport ... and lost an hour reading posts by other parents who face similar things to what we do at our house.
I cannot express what it means to me to know that we aren't the only ones dealing with this. That others have struggled with hurtful things said to them by other parents who just assumed they were failing to control their child. But most of all to be able to reach out and say, yes, I know how that feels. Wow!
No, I am not any closer to getting Banana an appointment to get the ball rolling. But we aren't the only ones facing this.
Yesterday, I got fairly frustrated because the doctor we were hoping to get to see seems like its a dead end, so we still don't have a new pediatrician yet. And Banana had a full meltdown over a timed typing exercise in class...where she felt like there was no way she could do it or ever get a good grade for this. That it was hopeless. For a mom whose favorite thing is hope, its so hard to see my 11 year old struggle feeling as if life is hopeless. I sat on her bed with her and just held her while she bawled, feeling like she had disappointed her teacher, and that she would never get typing in the traditional way, not pecking at the keys. I tried to be reassuring, and I told her she could practice on my computer, that we would find her games to do. After the meltdown, she came out and very timidly asked me if there really were games to help with that, and I was able to find some and she got so very excited when she was able to get 12 words in a minute with no mistakes.
It really is the little triumphs and finding support, that make it all worth while. Every time she smiles, it melts my heart. Because a smile for her is so much more then just her face moving...she reserves her smiles for the people she loves, or for those little triumphs in life. Things that most of us would take for granted, but that for her are huge.
So we keep fighting!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for the encouraging message!