May 14, 2012

Grand scheme of things...

I spent a lot of hours last week working on my final paper for the class I just finished.  I finished reading the textbook (cover to cover in five weeks), wrote my discussion post and replies, and then started writing.  Even though I had a detailed outline, the paper (partly due to the cast/splint on the left arm) took me Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, about 6-7 hours per day to get where I felt it was strong enough to turn into a teacher who nitpicks everything and made me second guess myself for five weeks.  I put so much time and effort into this paper...even used the plagiarism resource to make sure it was all good, and got a super low score on that (which is really good).  She has the paper for less then 24 hours, and gives me the lowest score I have received since going back to school...saying I didn't use enough of other people's words, and spelled out numbers that should have been numerals.  (of course, lowest score compared to other papers...all the other ones, before her class, were 100%). 
In the grand scheme of things, this paper doesn't matter.  It only dropped the percentage in the class down by one percent...still finished with an A.  It doesn't change my life or the blessings that God has been overflowing in my life.  Doesn't make my girls look at me any different or friends not want to be around me.  Has no bearing on the rest of the classes. 
And yet, I cried when talking to my mom about it.  I was so disappointed.  So much time, effort, and literally pain went into this paper.
On top of that, I was trying to help my daughter with her own tears as she watched Ms. Cheetah drive away in another person's car.  On again, off again tears over the rest of the evening.
Why is it that we let something so trivial trip us up?  In the midst of the tears, I temporarily forgot about all the friends, family, and opportunities God has placed into my life to give me a life that I truly love!  And this paper grade doesn't change any of that.  He doesn't look at me any different...in fact, like my mom, I am sure that He is proud of me.  I could have curled up and decided I was done on Tuesday after having my hand put in an uncomfortable splint...and asked for all kinds of special allowances for that week of school.  But I didn't.  I just kept going.  All things considered, especially when you take into consideration the fact that I was on pain meds that made it hard to concentrate, I should literally be GRATEFUL for pulling off an A of any kind on that paper...regardless of percentage. 
SO...today, I am choosing to look at the positives...the time yesterday with my girls and with some amazing friends.  The lunch I get to go to in a little while with a friend I have only seen twice since our weddings (a week apart and we were each other's maid of honors...Christmas '99 and New Years Day '00).  The beautiful letter typed up to me by a "new" friend that was even printed in my favorite color...red...and made me absolutely bust out laughing more than once.  The fact that the class I start tomorrow is one of five standing between me and graduation.  The opportunity to play photographer all day Saturday, with a family photo shoot in the morning and roller derby photos in the evening.  The ideas running through my head of ways to set up scenes with the guys, and maybe make them super hero type trading cards.  Not to mention all the belief that others have been pouring into me.  I truly have a life that is full and amazing.  Nothing I ever imagined for myself...full of God-sized, God-breathed redemption and potential and opportunities.
In the grand scheme of things...what truly matters is people...not grades!  And my life is wonderfully full of people!

2 comments:

  1. Did you get rid of your dog? What happened?? I'm behind!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheetah was adopted by an elderly couple on Sunday...we just couldn't keep up with two dogs and the traveling we have been doing so I can take pictures. Great retired couple who can help her be on a schedule (b/c heaven knows I don't do schedule very well). We still have Moe...the bigger one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the encouraging message!