Seems like mom used to say that anything worth doing, was worth doing well...normally said when we thought something was too hard, or too much effort.
Combine that with the ups and downs of life, the fact that all of us humans see things through different filters, and being close friends with someone means that you get to know them warts and all...seeing each others flaws and having to decide if its worth it or not.
Friendships are not easy. Sometimes they might even feel like they are not worth it. But every once in awhile, a rare relationship comes along...one that you decide you are truly going to fight for, and fight through, and just make it keep moving forward.
Along the way, feelings are guaranteed to get hurt. The best friendships are the ones that talk it over, and get back to even ground again. Finding compromise and common ground. Looking at things from all angles and each other's point of view. Realizing that neither one of you meant to hurt the other. Allowances are made, past baggage is shared and reactions are better comprehended afterwards.
Blood pressure might even be raised, and have to be managed and calmed back down.
Steps are made to reassure each other and to remember why the friendship IS so rare and worth the time and effort.
Personally, I have trouble not just assuming it is all my fault. I think I would rather have the person mad at me, and then talk it through, then mad at another person and not wanting to see where they might have been coming from. And when I think that I did something to hurt someone else, I am crushed, wish for a redo, want to run away. But, (I know, I have said this before) God is working in me and with me to not run. Today, I was exhausted from the whole thing, but flight didn't even pop in my head (see, He IS making progress in me). I was determined to do whatever it took to get everyone on even ground again. I was upset...and had a doctor's appointment in the middle of all this...and they almost put me on blood pressure medicine b/c it was high! I think the flight response wasn't present b/c I know I don't want to do this life without these two friends...they are among some treasured blessings that I thank God for on a regular basis!
It kind of felt like a roller coaster for a little while...and there were some extenuating circumstances and baggage that none of us knew would affect us, that reared its ugly head, but we put our grown-up shoes on and we all talked it through.
The thing is, we are all human. We are all flawed. We all mess up. We have highs and we have lows. Life is full of good days, bad days, in the middle days. Sometimes you throw in an injury and pain meds...just to shake it up even more. But God created us to be relational beings. We crave being known by others and loved anyways. And if we want that for ourselves, we can assume that we should also be actively extending that to others. It's just another day where you say "He/she is my best friend, and I love him/her anyways". You willingly take the rougher days with the good days, because in the end, it is more than worth it. To love and be loved, flaws and all, is an absolutely amazing thing...one we should not take for granted.
And in the end...you let your friends know how much you care. You go the extra mile. You duke it out, and hug and make up. You do what it takes to share laughter and smiles. Because they truly are a gift from God. And life would not be near as much fun without them.
I hope my two besties know that I love them, I wouldn't trade them for a single thing, and I thank God for them each and every day. I am so thankful for the way they step in and help me when I need it. I am thankful for their input, advice, opinions, words, thoughts, prayers, that they accept me despite my flaws/baggage/injuries, and etc. I am thankful for the way they openly love on my girls and I. And that I know they would do anything for me. I am blessed beyond words, and my heart overflows with gratitude that God had our paths cross.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for the encouraging message!