There are no guarantees in life. We aren't promised a new day, a new sunrise, another day with the people we love. Things can change in the blink of an eye. Even the most mundane of tasks can change life as you know it.
For instance, I was putting a stroller in the car of the gal that I babysit for on Thursday morning. The trunk lid decides it doesn't want to stay up anymore and comes crashing down on my head (repeated it later for her, too, so it wasn't just trying to pick on me). The latch part of of the trunk of this older vehicle slammed into the center top of my skull. No swelling, no cut, just red mark on my head and amazing headache. And then shortly after, some crazy brain swelling. Concussion #4. All of a sudden, I am having trouble forming thoughts, remembering who I have talked to, and sleepy as all get out. Spent the next 48 hours sleeping off and on. Today is the first time I have been able to sit still and not instantly fall asleep, although I am fighting it off right now.
All that to say, we just don't know. We don't know if this is the last time we might get to spend with our favorite person. Something can happen to end a life, or erase memories, that you just can't get back.
So this has brought up a lot of conversation and thought. Since there is no guarantee in life that you will ever have another chance...do you live each day like it might be your last? Do you try to get all the things on your bucket list done quickly, or savor them over time? Where do you draw the line between going for what you want, and waiting on God and His perfect timing?
All of us have questions like these. All of us know of stories where a life was cut short and maybe they didn't get to tell someone how they felt or how much they were appreciated. There are so many instances in life where we just don't know...do we wait and see what happens down the line, or do we speak up now. I know that I am not the only one who has been in this position before. We all can think of things we wished we had said, done, or shared before it was "too late".
But, that being said, there is so much about life that is learned as we walk the journey, go through the process. Life lessons that would have been learned no other way except by waiting, and going one step at a time. (and if I sound rambly, and like I am not making any sense, I apologize, its the concussion and brain-squeezing talking here). There is so much about the last three years where I have known God to say, "slow down, Becky, just wait. It will be worth it. You won't miss what I am working on for you." How do you argue with that?
So, yes...we have no guarantees in life. Life can change in a split second. You can be injured going about your daily life and things change in the blink of an eye. But, even in all of that, God is still GOD. He hasn't changed. His promises are still so very true. He doesn't ask us to wait for nothing; He wants us to learn through the processes; He will always be there with us. And the wait will always be worth it, when its what He has asked of us. No guarantees isn't quite true...we are guaranteed that He will always be who He said He is, doing what He is doing, showing us the way to go. And that is enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for the encouraging message!