Sep 9, 2012

Time for a fresh start

Today in class we talked about forgiveness (again...we are in the middle of a study) and it was mentioned that there are three things that forgiveness should be...immediate, unilateral, and total...Meaning, you forgive right then and there to keep the lines of communication open between you and God, not some random day when you start to feel like it.  You forgive everyone, no exceptions, no matter what the offense or who the person is...and you don't keep it going.  And total...you don't hold on to a piece of it and forgive everything but this one part...you forgive all of it and it is not a continued issue between you and that other person, or you and anyone else either.
So in our small group time, we were asked which of those three was the hardest for us.  Honestly, I have gotten to practice forgiveness a lot lately...and it was one of those things where I just made the decision right then and there to put these things in God's hands and not hold onto any of them.  Not because I am good at forgiveness, but because it has all been so big that I haven't had a clue what to do with any of it other than to hand it to Him.  All of it, as it surfaced, and then again when other pieces came up...nothing held onto.  And I also have gone out of my way not to talk about it or pick it back up again.  Because I JUST CAN'T!
My parents firmly laid a foundation of forgiveness with us as kiddos...and I have had some hard tests on this one.  But I don't hold a grudge against anyone...I refuse because it eats me up. 
Here's where it all comes down for me.  CLEAN SLATE.  Today is a new day.  Now there are some people that I know its just not healthy for me to be around.  But there are others...friends and acquaintances and family members...that I want to live life with.  I don't hold anything against anyone.  Today is a new day.  Yesterday's drama is over and done with.  I am not going to keep rehashing any of it...that's the stand I have taken the whole time.  Yes, the hurt is still trying to wear off, and new information pops up that has to be grieved and handed to God, but I am not holding any of this over anyone's heads.  It happened...people reacted the way they wanted to.  I am not accountable for anyone's reactions/decisions but mine.  And my decision is to move FORWARD.  Forgiveness has already been given and every single detail is in God's hands, where it has been this whole time.  It's time to start over, begin again, new day, a bit wiser perhaps.
So, this is what I say...
Hi.  My name is Becky.  You look like someone I would really like to be friends with.  Let's hang out sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the encouraging message!