This picture was taken at my brother's last bday party, a year ago, by one of my sisters.
I pitched for an hour and a half so that every guest that came and wanted to hit for awhile had a chance. I think each person was the batter until they got tired. Anyways, it ended with a line drive straight at my chest, obviously I had no glove on, and I put my right hand up to block the ball...which resulted in smashed nerves and a hand that didn't work correctly for about a month. But it was for my brother...and worth it.
This year, I knew I didn't want a repeat, so some friends of mine let me practice pitching and catching a softball with a borrowed glove (oh, guess I forgot to mention that last year's party was my first experience with a softball...growing up I pitched to my brother for hours every day using a tennis ball which I would just catch with my bare hand). Anyways, I practiced ahead of time so I could be ready...and looked forward to helping him celebrate this year...it was his 30th bday yesterday!
But...last night I went roller skating with a friend and her son...and had a blast! However, one of the guys from our local men's roller derby team works there...and he was wanting to get some blocking practice in. So, who better to block into the walls then the team's wanna-be-photographer. After all, she's watched and taken pics, so that means she's fair game? Needless to say, I spent much of the two hours last night being shoved into the walls. One of the times I must have jammed my middle finger...
...you know where this is going, right?
Yep...I showed up for my brother's bday party today with two fingers buddy taped together...on my pitching arm. And still warmed up with my brother. And then proceeded to pitch for two hours straight so that everyone could hit. AND caught some insane throws and hits with my gloved, left hand. Some of the throws by my brother in law Matt were insanely hard and I have a beautiful bruise on the inner ring finger. But I pitched almost as many good pitches as bad pitches and everyone had a blast. I had to make myself stop at the two hour mark though. And when I took the glove off my left hand, I couldn't even bend my fingers at first.
And I had to field all kinds of questions about my fingers...the assumption was that I had hurt myself again pitching...or that I was crazy for pitching again and should wrap myself in bubble wrap (oh, to have a dollar for every time that joke has been aimed at me!).
But it all boils down to this...my brother and I share a history full of me pitching and him hitting/catching. From as soon as he was old enough to catch the first tennis ball and swing the first plastic bat. I could have a cast on, and I would still figure out a way to pitch for his birthday...because it's for my brother!
Happy 30th birthday, Tim! I love you and I am so proud of the man, husband, and uncle that you have become! I couldn't ask for a better brother!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for the encouraging message!